Thursday, July 24, 2014

Packing... A Necessary Evil

Well, I'm off to dinner. I'm going to this hip new place called "Turkey & Greece". I guess it's a play on words..? I'm just worried the long commute won't be worth it. This better be some good dinner... 
Jokes, jokes... 
In all seriousness, though, the time has come to leave this country and vacation abroad. As excited as I am, I also harbor extreme anxiety. Why? Because with traveling comes PACKING. 
I hate packing. So much. I've been on a million trips but have never seemed to master the skill. 
Until now. 
With the help of the Internet and lots of caffeine, I will conquer my packing faux paux once and for all. 

Things I consider when I begin to pack:

-will I have enough clothes?
-will I be fashionable enough?
-what if eat too many macaroons while I'm there and these skinny jeans stop fitting?
-should I bring my fat jeans instead?
-agh but my fat jeans aren't designer and aren't near as cute! 
-I'll just bring both.
-will I work out while I'm there? 
-if so, how often? 
-will there be laundry services? 
-but, honestly, will you even utilize laundry services? 
-I'll just bring an outfit for everyday just in case
-will I paint my nails?
-how many colors will I need?
-how many pairs of shoes should I bring? 
-should I bring the shoes that I never wear incase I might wear them there??
-should I bring my ball gown? 
-you never know. 
-how much makeup should I bring? 
-what if my tan fades? 
-I'll bring two shades of foundation just in case. 

These questions plague every worried, indecisive, fashion-conscious traveler. Worry no more, for the blonde smoothie is to the rescue. Here is my intructional guide for packing for the perfect summer vacation. And there are pictures.

Luggage
Purchase a sturdy yet light weight piece of luggage. Make sure it's large enough to carry two weeks worth of clothes, but weighing as little as possible. This is because most airlines have set a strict 50 pound limit for each piece of luggage from their passengers. Keep this weight limit in mind so we can eliminate unnessary clothing items as we go through the process. 

LBDs and more
NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING, beats an easy, breezy (covergirl) summer dress in the middle of hot July temperatures. Pack these like you are in a competition to be in the new wave of flower children, with every intention of winning. Dresses don't have to be hippie attire, though. The right one is chic, simple and completes an outfit almost instantly. Prints = less accessories. Black/neutrals = in need of eye catching details. Think delicate, layered jewelry. It will transform an everyday LBD into something eye catching and unique. Add your own style to everything you do. 

Pictured above is a floral print dress purchased from Antropology, a blue rhomper by Josie, a white cotton dress purchased at On a Whim Tulsa, and a black loose fitting maxi purchased from Anthropology. 

Neutrals 
Focus on neutrals as much as possible. For me, this means black. I love black. Black is the best color in the world. But for others, this might mean cream, white, tan, gray, or any of those other boring colors you can think of. Neutrals mix with everything and can easily be worn with other items. 

Bottoms
I'm bringing four pairs of shorts and several skirts. I didn't count. But there's a lot. I read that printed shorts aren't very trendy overseas, so I only brought one pair. Two pair of cutoffs for casual pool days, and two rolled trouser style pairs. 



Statement Pieces
Bring them. Without them, your wardrobe is boring. But beware of bringing the unworn items you have hiding in the back of your closet. If you don't wear them at home, chances are you won't wear them abroad. Even though this pieces are funky and eye catching, you want to feel as comfortable and confident in them as possible. You're already in a foreign country, so why make matters worse by bringing items you feel funny wearing?
But if you do wear them normally, bring them. Just do.

Footwear 
What I have below is a horrible quality iPhone picture of the shoes I am bringing on this cruise. You will notice that all but one pair are practical. And even my unpractical heals (which are five inches btw) are wedges and have ankle straps. Sandals and sneakers are what I will be wearing during the day, as they're the most comfortable to your around in. I'll naturally break out the heals at night. As much as I love stilettos, walking around the hills of Santorini is not the time to show off my latest pair of Choo's.

Swimsuits
I'm bringing two bikini swimsuits that are mix and match. This way it's like I'm actually bring four swimsuits! Just another way to stretch your outfits while still packing less. 

Pictured above are two bikinis by Victoria's Secret. 

Makeup
This is the hardest part for me. I have so much makeup. I took a picture of my makeup counter to give you am idea of all I have to chose from. 
It's chaos. But I managed to pick through it and choose only my vacation essentials. 

This Smashbox toner gives you a summer glow without trying. Wear it with or without foundation. I can't live without it. 
Chanel Vitalumiêre Aqua with SPF 15
Chanel face finishing powder 
Bobbi Brown bronzing pallet. Doubles as eyeshadow. Gives an instant, tan glow. 
I honestly don't know what brand this is. It's some Italian brand I purchased in a Duty Free shop on my way to Africa last year. Moral of the story is it also gives a really nice finishing glow to your face, shoulders, legs and whatever else needs it. 
Naked brand eyeshadow pallet 
Bobbi Brown blush and Bare Minerals blush brush
YouNique waterproof mascara. On a hot summer day, sweat is inevitable. For that reason, I'm opting for waterproof mascara and this brand is great! Shout out to my friend Christina for giving me this awesome beauty gem!
And last but not least- Brushes, eyeliner, concealer, tweezers, etc. 

Jewelry and Accessories
There's no need to bring your whole collection, but do bring a few statement pieces that will help dress up your outfits. Details are what makes you unique!


Somehow I made everything fit ??
I'm not sure how I did it. Maybe it was rolling my clothes instead of normal folding. (Rolling clothes, btw, not only saves space, but reduces wrinkles.) but, I made everything for into my bag. Now all that is left is to wake up tomorrow morning and NOT have that feeling that I'm missing something really obvious and important. I'll hope for the best. Safe travels everyone! 

What are your traveling/packing methods? Comment below! 

No comments:

Post a Comment