Thursday, July 31, 2014

Good Morning from Ephesus


 Yesterday, my family and I had the privilege to experience something unlike anything else. We visited the ancient city ruins of Ephesus. We walked the same steps of revolutionary Christians, like that of the Apostle Paul.


Immediately upon arrival, we were all taken away. The ruins were in incredible condition. I could so easily imagine myself in this ancient metropolis that I was lost by taking in the view.

The goddess Nike poses for ancient Ephesians.
Christians in ancient Ephesus were harshly persecuted. This became ever more evident to me as I could not walk five steps without passing a sculpture of a Pagan god. Paganism was so prominent in the town that Christians were subjected to live in hiding for the majority of their lives. 
 

This sacrifice that early followers of Christ made for their faith calls for my own self reflection--how much do I sacrifice for my faith? Paul, after being stoned nearly to death was sent away for his own protection. Despite all this, he still wanted to return to the city. That would scare me to death! What a minority these people were, and how persecuted they were just for their religious beliefs. 

Even the library features breathtaking sculpture and detail.

A view from below

Though not their spoken language, the Ephesians wrote with the Greek alphabet.






The library
Overall, the trip was fascinating, and extremely educational. I have never felt more connected to my faith! For more information on the history Ephesus, I refer you to this website.  

Returning home, all smiles (:

No comments:

Post a Comment