Thursday, August 21, 2014

This "New Me" is Failing Horribly

This week of cleansing and inner renewal has fallen flat on it's face... Let me explain.
Monday began with high hopes, but at a considerably late start- 1 in the afternoon is still morning, right?? Not only did it begin with non eventful gusto, but the day ended equally as miserable with fried food from Pei Wei as dinner (EEK!). 
The rest of the week seemed to follow suit. Though I was going to bed earlier, I was sleeping over 12 hours each night, which would bring me to wake up around 10-12 each morning... Not much of a fresh start...
I did try exercising. A 5k run/walk on Tuesday felt invigorating and motivating, but I felt severe pressure on my knees that I have never felt in my life. Pressure in my knees can only mean one thing: I'm getting really fat. 
As if the weak workout wasn't warning enough, Wednesday included four pieces of French Toast for a REALLY late dinner (11 pm). This dinner only restored my faith in my gluten intolerance as I woke up in the middle of Wednesday night with excruciating nausea. 
This leads me to today. Thursday. Where I am laying hopelessly in bed, recovering from last night's wheat overload. 
That French toast was really delicious though. But not worth the belly pain. 
So, if you're like me, and an estimated 20 million others with gluten sensitivity, but you still want to enjoy the yummy things in life, I've created a quick, simple, tasty, mostly organic, natural, and totally blonde smoothie approved, Gluten-Free French Toast recipe. 

Easy Gluten-Free French Toast
Ingredients: (per slice of bread)
-Udi's Milet-Chia Gluten-Free bread 
-1/2 tablespoon of coconut oil 
-1 tablespoon (or more, to taste) maple syrup 
-cinnimon, sprinkled on top to taste
-torbinado/brown/coconut sugar, sprinkled on, to taste. 

After you have your bread and put all the ingredients on, pop the slices into the microwave for about 45 seconds to 1 minute. It should be warm and soft. Enjoy with coffee or a glass of almond milk!! 



This treat is a good way to satisfy a craving sweet tooth with wholesome, good-for-you ingredients. 

While the freshly baked whole wheat is delicious and satisfying, it is so bad for my cleanse and overall health. Ever since I have begun cutting certain foods out of my diet (i.e. Gluten, dairy, wheat, meat, refined sugar) I've been able to precisely identify the foods that bother me. While I was tested for a gluten allergy (and it came back positive) I never believed I had a problem until I was able to feel it's effects on me myself. I could never contribute my overall sluggish feeling and crampy belly to a single problem. It wasn't until I viewed myself as a science project, changing my dietary variables, until I found the right solution for me. 
I emplore my readers who suffer from chronic aches, pains, fatigue, headaches, etc, to asess your diet. There could be factors in the foods you consume that could be changed. It could very well lead to a healthier life. It is hard, and I understand that. After feeling completely motivated last week for a change, I am still struggling to get back to my healthy habits. 
But, despite it all, here's to another week of trying, progress, and positive thinking. 

Xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment