Thursday, August 25, 2016

What I learned from an Australian woman (and others) in Nicaragua

I'm starting to think of people I meet as characters from a movie or novel. Everyone with their own special quirks or appearance. Everyone saying some line or doing some action to drive the plot that is my life forward. I realize this sounds self-centered. It is. But it also makes meeting new people incredibly more interesting. Last Thursday, August 11 around 7 pm, during my first evening here in Nicaragua, I met a new character named Aly. She was a Australian woman with big, tanned arms and thin, dark blonde hair. She talked with confidence and a charming accent. She intimidated me with her various adventure stories and legs so full of bug bites, she might as well be covered in splotchy red freckles. Insecure and wondering what in the world I was doing here in this strange, ugly city all alone, Aly made me feel weak and ridiculous. Just by her presence alone, I could tell she was strong. And there I was on my first night in Managua, never feeling weaker. 
Aly told me about spending weeks sleeping in hammocks in the Nicaraguan jungle, waking up with mysterious insects crawling up her neck, and riding for hour on public buses so over-crowded with passengers that she could hardly breathe. Aly's stories first shocked, but later inspired me. She was a woman ready for an adventure. "How can I be more like that?" I asked myself. How can I be a character worth meeting? Worth remembering? I started my week in Managua feeling out of my league. The streets are dirty, the homes are small, amenities are sparse if not entirely unavailable, and despite my best efforts to learn Spanish, even the language is foreign. I never admitted once on my trip but now that it’s over, I'll admit it...I was scared. However, the incredible example of Aly the Adventurer, inspired me to woman up. Past my insecurities and fragilities was a good experience waiting for me to enjoy! 
My days in Nicaragua mostly included accompanying my friend (and my only original contact there) in her ministry, during which she would conduct bible studies with locals that came from the coast. I was able to meet several new people that sacrificed their comfortable lives back in the States to pursue a life in full time ministry. Renouncing modern amenities for a life of mosquito spray and uncomfortable sleeping mattresses suddenly sounded oddly appealing. If these young people are doing it, why can’t I? Seeing the examples of people my own age making sacrifices for something greater for themselves, and seemingly loving every minute of it, made me reflect on what is truly important in life. 
I entered Nicaragua feeling lonely, intimidated, and frankly, disgusted. I left feeling refreshed, loved, and eager to plan my trip back. 
I’m learning that every day is another page of our own individual autobiographies. Every moment, every thought, every day holds opportunities to create an interesting story. Perhaps even a best-seller. 

1 comment: